Constructing 18th Century Fly-front Breeches – Final

I'm kind of bouncing back and forth between Sarah's and mine costumes. After finishing the underpinnings for Sarah, I really wanted to finish the breeches I will wear at Fetes...So with that in mind and following my other two blogs for construction, I set out to make them happen! This is just a short update [...]

Constructing 18th Century Stays – Part 2

OK. 1 week has gone by, but so much has happened relative to these stays. I had some course corrections, but it all ended up well. To begin with, measuring for a corset seems straightforward. 4 easy measurements, right? Bust, underbust, waist and hips...But what if model measures between two pattern sizes? What do you [...]

Constructing 18th Century Stays – Part 1

This week was a busy week prepping for a work week in The Netherlands, continuing to costume and hosting dinner and a game night for close friends. Bound and determined that my posts will be timed around the actual construction of the garments, this one is happening abroad in Europe as I enjoy The Netherlands [...]

Constructing 18th Century Fly-front Breeches – Part 2

Keeping up with the momentum, it is time to finish the first pair of breeches. First however, let's talk Macaron! A couple of years back, my best friend, Joyce, gifted me with a beautiful coffee table book on Macarons. There is something beautiful about those pastel colored disks. Sometimes, you bite into one and it's [...]

Constructing a 18th Century Men’s Shirt

We are in full swing preparation for our pending visit to Versailles, France for the 2017 Fetes Galantes at the end of May. I have personally been enjoying exploring my creative outlet (patterning and sewing). For the man's shirt, I've selected an off white lightweight blend of linen and ramie. The pattern is from Reconstructing [...]

Constructing the Foundational Undergarments Part 2: Pocket Panniers (cont’d)

I really wanted to post the second part of the breeches, but I'm waiting on more buttons. I miscounted the buttons and didn't have enough to finish the buttons for the try on, so I had to order more from NYC. A few more days...Not wanting to lose any momentum and already having tackled the [...]

Constructing 18th Century Fly-front Breeches – Part 1

OK - so it’s been a while since my last post...Timing is critical now. Fêtes is 3 months away! It is time to get very busy! Let’s just say that the holiday season was filled with friends and family. Lots of business travel and also some travel for leisure. I am pretty sure that I’ve [...]

The Mad Hatter!

OK - I know...I was supposed to make a hooped petticoat next, but what I’ve realized in doing some more research is that if I use the right boning in the pocket hoops, I won’t need anymore than just that. So, why isn’t my next post on the making the shift or the petticoat? Well, [...]

Constructing the Foundational Undergarments Part 1: Pocket Panniers

As I mentioned in my last post, for the undergarments, I selected a 3 oz. weight white Irish linen. I purchased 10 yards off of EBay for $9/yd. It’s a 60” wide fabric and should be enough to complete the shift (under dress), the hoop petticote and my undershirt/undershorts. For the pocket panniers (pocket hoops), [...]

Fabric Selection and a great trip to Vancouver, B.C.

At the beginning of June after I had established my timeline for constructing these garments, I immediately visited the Pinterest board my close friend, Joyce, and I created to captured all ideas and looks for Fetes Galantes. Below, is one image that inspired us for our trip.Looking back at it now, it was obviously the [...]