With the frock coat, waist coat, breeches and shirt complete, I’m getting pretty close to being done with my outfit!
First up – the Jabot or Cravat. I chose a fine silk satin to make the ruffles of the jabot.
There are plenty of online tutorials for constructing one of these garments, so I just followed one of these.
For the base of the jabot, I used a medium weight linen.
1. Cut 2 pieces of linen 10″ X 8″ in size
2. Stitch along the long sides and one short side
3. Clip corners, turnout right side out and press seams
For the ruffles, I used a length of 24″ and width of 4-5″. I decided to have 4 ruffles on the base.
4. Press under 1/2″ seams on the silk strips
5. Gather and pin onto the base
7. Do this 4 more times, evenly spacing out the ruffles across the base.
With all the ruffles sewn onto the base, make a narrow band that the base can be stitched too. I chose a 2.5″ wide strip for the band.
8. Attach the base to one side of the band. Press seams in for the band
Finish the band.